The stage play is a great way to reinforce the values presented in Songs for School. The most effective approach is to allow middle-school children to present the play to their younger classmates, 2nd through 4th graders.
The instrumental tracks on the CD can be played during the performance. Students can sing along, or lip-sync with the vocal tracks. Lip-syncing has proven to work best for most students.
Involve the Whole Class
- All students can learn the songs, and sing along with the actors on stage.
- While students are learning the songs, a creative writing class could use the subject matter for an assignment.
- Class discussions might be initiated through the materials.
- A contest for selling tickets and books could culminate in a presentation for the winners at the close of the play.
- An arts and crafts group could make stage props.
- The audience could join in on one or more of the songs, especially the finale.
- Involve families and the community whenever possible!